Who can take part? What is needed? Which fields of biotechnology are covered, how much does it cost, ...
Who can participate?
Students, post-graduates, experienced scientists and other creative individuals who wish to translate their promising and marketable life science innovation into a business idea and a professional business plan.
Life sciences include the following areas:
- Red biotechnology (Biopharmaceuticals for humans or animals)
- Green or blue biotechnology (Agro-biotechnology or marine biotechnology)
- White biotechnology (Biotechnology applied to industrial processes)
- Medical Technology/Medical Devices (*** detailed definition at the end of the page)
- Supply and service applications in the life sciences (e.g. new sequencing methods, bioinformatics)
BoB is open to individuals and teams from all countries.If your submitted project is ranked within the best 3 of each category and track, be prepared to travel to Vienna in September and October 2019 to personally present your business plan to the jury. Though not obligatory, attendance at the workshop, the one-on-one meetings, the coaching session and the award ceremonies/networking events is highly recommended.
Entities that have already been incorporated may participate as long as they have not been founded before November 2017.
The official language of the competition is English. All documents and presentations must be written in English.
No distinction is made with regard to evaluation of Austrian and Non-Austrian participants. Participants from all countries are equally welcome.
Participation in the competition and all related activities is free. Travel and lodging costs are to be covered by the participants.
Participation in the one-on-one meetings and the coaching session while highly recommended is not a mandatory precondition to participate in the competition.
***Definition of Medical Technology within the framework of aws BoB Best of Biotech:
- Diagnostic tools and technologies (e.g. X-Ray, NMR, urea tests, allergy tests, blood pressure measuring tools etc.)
- Therapeutic tools and technologies (e.g. implants, prostheses, rehabilitation tools, orthopedic tools, dialysis technology, cryotherapy etc.)
- Medical Tools (e.g. disposable gloves, syringe, incontinence aids, bandaging material etc.)
- Laboratory-, ambulance-, hospital furniture und technology (e.g. beds, mattresses, textiles, tables, illumination etc.)
- Services (overall medical services such as medical IT
- Remember that your idea needs to be a true innovation, not a "me too"-product or an improvement of an existing technology.